Citizenship Through Naturalization in the U.S.
Becoming a U.S. citizen is likely one of the most important decisions in an immigrant's life. Green card holders are eligible to apply for U.S. Citizenship via naturalization once they have been lawful permanent residents for at least the past 5 years (3 years if married to a U.S. Citizen).
What are the advantages of becoming a U.S. Citizen?
As a U.S. permanent resident, you have most of the rights of U.S. citizens. However, Citizenship offers new rights and privileges: the right to vote, serve on a jury, travel with a U.S. passport, bring family members to the U.S., apply for federal jobs, become eligible for federal grants and scholarships, obtain government benefits among others.
Eligibility Requirements for Naturalization in the U.S.
You may qualify for naturalization if you meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Be a lawful permanent resident of the U.S.
- Demonstrate continuous residence in the U.S. for the past 5 years (3 years if married to a U.S. citizen).
- Demonstrate that you have been physically present in the U.S. for at least 30 months (15months) out of the 5 years (3years).
- Be a person of good moral character and have refrained from criminal activity
- Be able to read, write, speak basic English.
- Have a basic understanding of U.S. history and politics
There are situations that may disqualify you such as arrests, criminal records in the past and time outside of the United States. Therefore, it is important to consult with a naturalization or citizenship lawyer who specializes in U.S. Immigration law to evaluate if you qualify for naturalization before starting this process.
You must fill out the form N-400, Application for Naturalization. Once this application is processed, you will be fingerprinted and notified for your interview with a USCIS officer. In this interview, you will be tested on your understanding of English, and U.S. politics and history. Subsequent to this interview you will receive a notice that your application has been accepted, rejected or continuing. If you receive notice that your application is continuing then this means that additional documentation is required, or that you need to retake a test. The path to citizenship is not all that easy. We have extensive experience helping people in difficult situations during the naturalization process.
Streamline Your Naturalization Process with an Experienced Immigration Attorney
Applying for U.S. citizenship through naturalization can be a complex and overwhelming process. At the Law Office of Yovanna Vargas, our team of immigration attorneys is dedicated to helping you navigate through the intricacies of the naturalization process.
Here's how our experienced immigration attorneys can assist you:
- Expert guidance: Our attorneys have a deep understanding of the naturalization process and can provide you with step-by-step guidance to ensure that you meet all the eligibility requirements and submit a complete and accurate application.
- Application preparation: We will meticulously prepare your naturalization application, including gathering all the necessary supporting documents and ensuring that your application is error-free.
- Interview preparation: Our attorneys will thoroughly prepare you for the naturalization interview, including conducting mock interviews to help you feel confident and prepared.
- Representation: We will represent you throughout the naturalization process, communicating with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) on your behalf and advocating for your best interests.
- Peace of mind: With our experienced attorneys by your side, you can have peace of mind knowing that your naturalization application is in capable hands. We will handle all the legal complexities, allowing you to focus on your future as a U.S. citizen.
Don't let the naturalization process overwhelm you. Contact the Law Office of Yovanna Vargas today to schedule a consultation with one of our immigration attorneys and take the first step towards becoming a U.S. citizen.
Contact a Dallas Naturalization & Citizenship Attorney today
The Law Office of Yovanna Vargas is an immigration law firm focused 100% on US Immigration and Nationality Law. We are based in Dallas, Texas but represent clients nationwide.
At the Law Office of Yovanna Vargas, our Dallas citizenship through naturalization attorney evaluates your eligibility to apply for naturalization, determine your qualification for a waiver or exemption if applicable, and assist you through the naturalization process. Attorney Vargas offer full-scope representation, from application preparation to interview assistance.